Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are GIFT Teaching Fellows and Teaching Assistants (TAs)
the same thing?
No. Whereas the Teaching Assistant (TA)'s role is to assist the
faculty in any capacity required for assistance, the Teaching Fellow
(TF) plays an active role in designing and delivering at least two
2. Can a faculty mentor work with several Teaching Fellows?
No. We believe that the experience will be most rewarding and the
GIFT's objectives best met if a faculty mentor commits to only one TF.
The faculty mentor is of course free to work with as many TAs as needed
in conjunction with a TF.
3. Can I work with a Faculty Mentor / Teaching Fellow outside
Absolutely. As a prospective TF, you can find a list of interested
faculty mentors on this website.
4. Can a TF sign up to co-teach a course in the spring of 2012?
Yes, participation is open for both the fall or spring semesters.
5. Who do I contact if I have questions about GIFT?
Questions about GIFT can be directed to Dr. Sinaia Nathanson, institute
director, by calling 617-627-2515 or by e-mailing